Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day!

All of us should celebrate Earth Day every day! Conserve energy, eat organic foods and use non-chemical cleaning agents. Ok I admit organic products are pricey but the Earth clearly needs a break from humans' carbon footprint.

I calculated my carbon footprint (http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx) and it's not pretty. Driving my car emits carbon monoxide which is probably the major harm to the Earth. Other than that is the lack of consuming organic food and it is a BIG difference.
We are unsure on how much chemicals and pesticides are used by farmers on our vegetables and hormones injected into chicks to boost growth.
Organic poultry are as natural as possible because the animals are corn-fed or are grown at their own pace hence safer for us to eat and healthier for the environment.

I have not used chemical products to clean my house since last year. My boys had atopic eczema when they were younger and I myself have sensitive skin, I've opted to use only baking soda with distilled white vinegar and lemons. They clean well and because they are natural mineral and ingredients, no harmful gases are released in the air (which thins the ozone layer)

I've also decided not to fix my vacuum cleaner since it broke down because not only does it use a lot of electricity, it's actually harmfully emitting tiny dust particles as you use. Sweeping (although it does cause dust to fly, it's still tolerable) and mopping is efficient to keep the house clean.

What else? Try not to use plastic bags except Tesco's biodegrable ones. I have so many useful canvas bags, they're a gem! Oh, I've switched to plant based dishwashing liquid and add baking soda and vinegar into my laundry for cleaner and fresher clothes. You may think they don't clean all that well but believe me, they do!

I've been thinking of converting my black thrash can into a compost bin but not quite sure where to start and whether it's a good idea seeing that we stay in an apartment. I would really love to recycle every single thing that can be recycled.. Be it cans, paper, plastic even leftover foods. What could be more thoughtful and safer to protect our dear Planet Earth? =D

Happy Earth Day! May we stick to our good habits and love love love the Earth!

No comments: