Friday, January 30, 2009

A moment to pray

Yesterday my mum received grieving news of her 2nd sister's death. I was about to leave to her place and carpool to visit my grandma in Puchong.

My aunt has been in and out of hospitals for the past few months due to her kidney problems and colon cancer. She had one of her kidneys removed recently and was on a long-course of medication. She was admitted again on the 1st day of CNY and took her last breath Thursday morning.

We didn't want to upset my grandma so no one told her of the news but when we went to see her, she was crying and told us that she dreamt of her daughter's death. My mum and I looked at each other - wide-eyed. She then said you don't have to tell me, I already know she died.

For a moment my senile grandma seemed to have come alive from the clouds in her head. She who has trouble remembering me and most of her grandchildren (and great-grandchildren for that matter) and has been acting like a child again, spoke with such grief and normalcy - it was somehow a comforting moment for me to see her in her usual self as how I remember her to be when I was younger.

It's been a part gloomy start to the year of the Ox and I'm definitely looking for a brighter and happier note.

No comments: